Stretching and productivity with Pomodoro
This project has 2 benefits:
- It helps you to be more productive according to Pomodoro technique
- It saves your spinal health reducing the risk of back Pain, neck Pain and Lower Back Painbr
It's a simple distance sensor that you must place under your monitor that keeps track of your daily activity and reminds you every 25 minutes to stop and move for 5 minutes. In this way you will get the benefit of the Pomodoro Technique and also your spinal will enjoy some small relax from sitting.
You just need an openPicus IoT Kit (that contains a FlyportPRO Wi-Fi), a Grove Ultrasonic Ranger and a Grove button.
List of Materials
- 1 IoT Kit Wi-Fi: it contains an IoT board, 1 FlyportPRO Wi-Fi and a power supply
- 1 Grove Ultrasonic Ranger
- 1 Grove Button
- 1 microUSB cable
- 1 Lithum battery (optional)
- A PC with Windows OS or MAC/Linux with a Virtual Machine (to develop and flash the firmware on the IoT Kit)
1. Plug the Ultrasonic Ranger to the IoT Kit on the DIG1 connector.
2. Plug the Button to the IoT Kit on the DIG2 connector.
3. Connect your PC to the IoT Kit via the microUSB cable
4. Connect the power supply on +5V connector or a 3,7V rechargeable battery on BATTERY connector.
Place the ultrasonic distance sensor just under your monitor. In this way when you push the botton for 3 seconds (to start monitoring) the distance value between you and your monitor will be saved in memory (let's call this D)
The system will consider you stuck in front of your PC when you are in the range 0...D+40cm
Xively: if you don't have an account, you must create one. After creating a device, you must take the Feed ID and the auto-generated API key with all permissions.
First of all the firmware creates a softAP Wi-Fi network. Using your smartphone or PC scan for the Wi-Fi networks and connect to “IoT Kit softAP”.
Now open a browser and type 192.168.1.115
Now the integrated web server shows a configuration page where you have to insert your Wi-Fi network and Xively parameters. Once parameters are saved the kit restarts and connects to your Wi-Fi network.
If everything is ok you will see LED1 on.
First of all let's understand the meaning of '0' and '1' on Xively:
- '0' means that you are relaxing or you are in front of your PC for less than 25 minutes
- '1' means that you are in front of your PC for more than 25 minutes (alarm condition)
After configuration of Wi-Fi and Xively parameters you have to save the "working distance". Sit in front of your monitor and press the button for 3 seconds (you will see LED2 blinking twice) and the system sends a '0' value to Xively (Channel: Alarm).
During this operation the system will save the distance between you and your monitor and if you stay in the same distance/position for more than 30 minutes the alarm is triggered (Xively value '1') and LED2 will start to blink until you move out of the range at least for 5 minutes.
Download source code
DOWNLOAD project source code.
Now open the project on the IDEpro, compile and download it to the IoT Kit.